History of Our Church

Ruth The Story of Redemption Web Banner
The seed of First Presbyterian Church of DuPage (then known as DuPage Presbyterian Church) was planted on July 13, 1833 in a small hickory log schoolhouse.  The multitude of people who worshipped at the church on its first day overcrowded the little schoolhouse, so the service was moved outdoors.
 
It wasn’t until February 24, 1853 that a church building was erected and a parsonage constructed.  The church was the center of social and religious activity for many decades.  A very strong Sunday School and Women’s Missionary Society helped keep the focus on the true work of the church.  Sharing good news of Jesus Christ, Redeemer and Savior of all who accept him as much.
 
Rev. Larry McCulloch guided the church from 1976-1998 to successfully transition from rural, farm-family church into an urban church. The “old roots” provide the “family friendly” and caring characteristics that the church is noted for today.
 
Our present church building was built in 2004 from a bequest from the estate of Frances Mable Patterson (church Sunday school secretary for 62 years) and her brother, Warren (Bud).  The new building incorporates many of the elements from the old building.  Rev. Mark Hughey pastored the church from 2005 – 2015.
 
Words could not describe God’s goodness in this place, and all of the glory belongs to God.  The lives that have been changed, the stories won, and the families rescued have all been by God’s amazing grace.  To Him be all the glory for His wonderful works at First Presbyterian Church of DuPage.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
DSC_0262